In an environment of unconditional support and belonging, ALL studens at McLoughlin will learn and grow academically, socially, and emotionally.
McLoughlin Middle School was originally called McLoughlin Junior High School and named after Dr. John McLoughlin, who was instrumental in establishing Fort Vancouver for the Hudson’s Bay Company in the 1820s. To the many people who have passed through its halls, the school is affectionately remembered as Mac High.
In the 1940s, many families moved to the Vancouver area to find work at the Kaiser Shipyards. Many settled in the McLoughlin Heights area, causing an influx of new residents and the need for a school.
A temporary structure was completed in 1943, but it was not sufficiently sized to handle the increasing numbers of students who were arriving from every state with their families. The school began double-shifting classes, with morning classes from 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. and afternoon shifts from 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.
A new building was completed in 1956, a time when telephones in the classrooms was considered a novelty.
Other notable moments in history:
–Circa 1972: McLoughlin is the first of the junior highs in the district to participate in the Help One Student to Succeed reading program.
–Spring 1992: Construction begins on new classroom wings, a new gymnasium and an enlarged media center, funded by a voter-approved bond measure earlier in the year.
–October 1993: McLoughlin helps pilot a partnership with OMSI to provide science camps for all sixth-graders.
–April 1996: Students from McLoughlin teach school counselors and principals about peer mediation at Portland State University.
–Spring 1998: McLoughlin’s sixth-grade Knowledge Master Open team places first in Washington and 17th internationally in the computerized spring competition.
–January 1999: McLoughlin’s sixth-graders rank first in the state and second in the world in the Knowledge Master Open competition.
–February 2001: McLoughlin’s sixth-, seventh- and eighth-grade Knowledge Master Open teams place first at state. The sixth-graders place fourth in the world.
–February 2004: McLoughlin celebrates 60 years since the original school was completed in 1943.
–November 2007: AVID is piloted at McLoughlin. Approximately 30 students are selected to participate.
–Fall 2014: The first class in the Spanish Immersion Program begins at McLoughlin. The program was established in 2008 at Harney Elementary.
–Spring 2020: The new McLoughlin Middle School is complete. Thanks to a bond measure that voters approved in February 2017.
– October 2021: McLoughlin Middle School building ribbon cutting ceremony and dedication was celebrated.